Return to Governance

Governance FAQ’s

What is a Property Owners Association?

A property owners association is a non profit corporation registered with the State and managed by a duly elected Board of Directors. Its purpose is to provide a communal basis for preserving, maintaining, and enhancing the homeowners. A property owner’s association also provides governance with provision of the legal documents: CC&R’s, Bylaws, and Articles of Incorporation. The property owners association is financially supported by all members of the association. Membership is both automatic and mandatory.

What are the CC&Rs?

The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R’s), which are also known as the Declarations, define the bundle of rights each owner in the property owners association must abide to. The CC&R’s are recorded by the County recorder’s office and are included in the title to your property. Failure to abide by the CC&R’s may result in a fines to the property owner by the Association.

What are the Bylaws?

The Bylaws are the adopted guidelines for the administration and management of a property owners association. The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the Board of Directors, the terms of the Directors, the membership’s voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings, and the principal office of the association, as well as other specific items that are necessary to run the association as a business.

What is the Board of Directors?

The Board of Directors is elected by the property owners, or as otherwise specified in the association bylaws. The board of directors’ responsibility is operating the property owners association on behalf of the property owners. The board of directors will implement policies, standards, procedures, programs and develop the annual budget for their property owners.

What are the primary requirements of the covenants?

Many property owners Associations have established Rules and Regulations that have been adopted by the Board of Directors. The Rules and Regulations are established to provide direction to the property owners in regard to parking, pets, pool use, etc. The Association also has specific guidelines set up for Architectural Improvements. Architectural Improvements include, but are not limited to: decks, landscaping, and exterior color changes. These rules are set up to maintain the aesthetic value and integrity of the homeowners and to protect the market value of your investment. Violations of these rules may result in action by the Board of Directors, which can include fines assessed to the property owners. In addition, exterior improvements or changes that are completed without prior approval by the Board of Directors or Architectural Committee, may require the property owner to remove or correct the alteration and/or be fined for the violations.

What do I do if I want to report a violation?

All violations must be submitted to the Gold Ridge Office in writing. You can submit the violation via mail or fax.

Are Board Meetings open to all residents?  If so, where and when are they held?

Board meetings are open to all residents of the association. Board Meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of each month at 6:00 p.m.

If I want to serve on a committee, how do I find out what committees are active and how I can get involved?

If you would like to become more involved in your property owners association and want to volunteer on a committee, you can contact the office to find out about the different committees your association has organized. .

What is my assessment?

Assessments are the property owner’s financial obligation to the property owners association.  Assessments cover the operating expenses of the common area and provide for reserve funds for replacement of common facilities in future years.

How is the amount of my assessment determined?

Budgets are developed by the Board of Directors and adjusted periodically to meet anticipated expenses.

Will my assessment go up?

There is no concrete answer to whether or not your assessment will go up. Typically, the Declarations provide for annual increases, in most cases, there is a set percentage that is not to be exceeded per year without the vote of the property owners. The Board of Directors may approve an increased budget,in order to cover increased costs of operating and maintaining the common area and sufficient reserve funds.

What happens if I don’t pay my assessment?

Gold Ridge Forest Property Owners Association is dependent upon timely receipt of assessments due from each property owner. Late payments will result in late charges and possibly interest to your account. In addition, the Association has the right to turn over delinquent accounts to the attorney for collection of assessments.

Do I need approval to do exterior changes?

In a single family home homeowners all permanent exterior changes must be submitted for approval by a Design Review/Architectural Committee or your Board of Directors prior to any work being performed.  Exterior changes that are completed without prior approval by the Board of Directors or Design Review/Architectural Committee, may require the property owner to remove or correct the alteration and/or be fined for the violations.